Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Week 1 - Goals & Expectations

After much anticipation, the first week is finally underway! The kids are here, we have our assessments done, and we are establishing a baseline of our students' academic and behavioral needs. Phase one: complete!

Coming into this program, I was incredibly nervous. I'm a planner, as most teachers are. When I was told that I wouldn't know the details of my caseload until right before the program started, I panicked just a little. Not knowing who I was assessing, what I was assessing, and how I was assessing also didn't help the situation! But also like most teachers, I am quite flexible and adaptable. Those skills are definitely going to be tested throughout this program, as I learn to constantly adapt to the vastly diverse needs of each student in our class. Learning to refine these skills of flexibility and adaptation in effective ways is one of my personal goals as we move forward with this program.

I am absolutely in love with our students. They are the sweetest, most eager-to-please group I have ever encountered. Each student brings a unique set of strengths, experiences, and struggles with them to Summer Learning Place. It is our job to elevate their strengths, learn from their experiences, and assist in their struggles.

One student in particular has behavioral and communication needs that are more complex than many students I have worked with in my short career as an educator. Another personal goal of mine is to connect with this student and develop effective strategies in working with him communicatively, behaviorally, and academically. He is such a joy and I really want to make sure that my actions are impactful for not only him, but our other nine students as well. I want to reach each of them personally, providing them with a safe and positive space for them to learn and grow.

I also want to make sure that my expectations are clear and followed. I know that we're in a bit of a "honeymoon phase" right now, but I already feel very connected to each student. There was one student who was a bit standoffish at first, but when I got her talking about Tangled and Beauty and the Beast, that hard exterior melted away almost immediately. Yet another student decided with tears in the middle of our math assessment that her stomach "had acid" in it. I calmly took her into the hall and offered her water, words of comfort and encouragement, and some additional support on the math. Funny - her stomach didn't hurt her for the rest of the day! I think our students are starting to realize that we aren't here to make them feel less-than or not good enough. In fact, we are doing quite the opposite! I have received many hugs, smiles, and laughs already! These kids have SO much potential and I can't wait to see what they are able to accomplish over these next few weeks!

A third personal goal for myself is to make a concerted effort to collect as much meaningful data as possible to monitor student progress and inform my teaching practices. Coming from a mostly general education background, this progress monitoring looked a bit different and was mostly district or school driven. In a program like SLP, we are working with students who have academic and/or behavioral needs in a very short period of time. Therefore, we don't have any time to waste in evaluating if what we are doing as teachers is effective or not. Student data - whether it's formal assessment or informal anecdotal notes - provides us with a clear picture of who's getting it and who might not be. I need to make sure I am being reflective and that each decision I make has a clear purpose.

I think that this course will be the most powerful learning experience I have ever had regarding the world of special education. Sure, I've encountered different SPED field experiences, I've attended IEP meetings, worked with our school resource teacher, and helped with extended school year programs, but I have never been in charge of my own class of students with exceptional needs. The perfectionist in me is screaming because I already know I have so much to learn and will not come even close to being the perfect teacher for these kids. However, I do know that I will try my darn hardest to be and that I will learn so, so much.

Enjoy some photos of our students from their first day! (Exploring awesome books, writing and illustrating "summer selfies," and decorating their work/behavior folders!)





4 comments:

  1. Brigid,

    I loved reading about your goals! I am also so excited about the coming weeks. I can definitely relate with you in thinking about relationships with your students. I agree that making connections with children is one of the most powerful ways to create high expectations within a classroom. I can already determine the different ways I will need to work to meet the needs of all of my students. I know it will be a challenge, but I believe that by taking an interest in each of our students, we will be able to serve them well this summer.

    I also love your goal about collecting data. Data can be challenging to keep up with, but it is critical to inform decision-making within the classroom. It will be especially helpful for us as we think about how to tailor our instruction over the next few weeks. It is my hope that the data will show student progress!

    I totally agree that this is going to be a "powerful learning experience!" It is a unique opportunity to serve some incredible children. We have the ability to make such an impact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post! In SpEd, you have to plan and be flexible at the same time so you will constantly trying to balance the two. That is what I love about it all. I'm glad you are striving to be the perfect teacher because that is what will make you a good teacher. I worked at it for over 30 years and I'm still working towards that goal. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigid,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I also connected with a lot of what you said. I think something that really resonated with me was when you said you want to collect a lot of data. You mentioned the idea of collecting "informal anecdotal notes". That is a great idea and gave me something to think about. A lot of times, I think that the only good data is formal data that is collected through running records, math probes, etc. You reminded me that even a small note about student effort and attempts is great data. Thanks for sharing and giving ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pictures!!! Seems like your students are off to a wonderful start. I am so grateful that all of us are focused on creating meaningful relationships with our students. They are going to grow so much more just because you care. I also like your goal of collecting data. It can be so tough, especially with so many kids with various backgrounds. I know you will implement some wonderful strategies for your kiddos! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete